150 years of harmony & cooperation
The Garden, dedicated in 1932, spreads across 888 acres in North Dakota and 1,451 acres in Manitoba Province. It commemorates the more than 150 years of harmony and cooperation between two neighbor nations, Canada and the United States.
At the entrance to the Peace Gardens stand the majestic Gates given by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Rebekahs, saluting the Garden's ideal and reminding the world that Odd Fellowship, too, is universal, committed to promoting peace among all men.
The idea for the Entrance Gates was that of Stella Pollack, a Rebekah from North Dakota. Their construction, a $50,000 project, represents the largest single contribution to the Garden by a non-governmental organization. On July 26, 1964, the Gates were dedicated by the Sovereign Grand Master of the Order and officials of the Canadian and U.S. governments.
Designed by Blankstein, Coop, Gillmor and Hanna of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, the Gates diagonally span the boundary. One fourteen-foot-high fieldstone pillar rises from Canadian soil, the other from U.S. soil; and four black laminated wood beams extend from each pillar, toward the metal rings in the center which join them exactly over the border.
THE CAUSE OF PEACE
The International Peace Garden gate is open year-round. From October to May you may self-register at the entrance gate. Every summer, the Peace Garden is the scene of the International Music Camp and School of Art and Dance. Camping facilities are also available; and thousands of people each year pass through the Gates which bear the inscription: